Web Processing Service (WPS)
The Web Processing Service (WPS) is one of OGC's most recent interoperability standards. WPS specifies a means for a client to request the execution of a spatial calculation from a service.
Since 2009 a Standards Working Group (SWG) has been established to coordinate the further development of the standard. Further details: WPS 2.0 Standards Working Group Page.
WPS Standard related documents
- OGC hosts a public discussion list for WPS developers.
Papers and Presentations
- Overview of WPS 1.0 from GeoConnections
- A Toponym Resolution Service Following the OGC WPS Standard, Lecture Notes In Computer Science; Vol. 5373, 2008
- Examining the Web Processing Server (WPS) Specification, Christopher Michael and Daniel P. Ames, OSGeo Journal 2007.
- Gridification of the OGC Web Processing Service: Challenges and Potential A. Padberg , K. Greve, 2008
- Orchestrating Grid Computing Enabled Web Processing Services, Bastian Schaeffer and Bastian Baranski, 2008 Geoinformatics Conference
- SWING (Semantic Web services Interoperability for Geospatial decision making: WPS Implementation. BGRM, 2009.
- Towards Analysis AND Processing in SDI 2.0 Using OGC-WPS For Research, Eder and Zipf 2009.
- WPS Application Profiles for Generic and Specialised Processes
- Developing geoprocessing services for a hydrological model application (using WPS)
- Link to more WPS references in the OGCNetwork Learn section
Open Source Software
- 52 North implementations of WPS 1.0.0
- Geoserver WPS initial implementation.
- pyWPS Python implementation of WPS 1.0.0
- deegree framework implements Version 1.0.0 of WPS and provides access
to a couple of sample processes. See demo client
- uDig generic client plug-in from 52 North
- WPSint Java implementation of WPS 0.4.0 (includes a generic client)
Open WPS Implementations
- Cartography Research Group at University of Bonn