2010 OGC Geosemantics Summit
On Monday afternoon, June 14 from 2pm to 6pm, a Geosemantics summit was held in Silver Spring, MD. This session was associated with the OGC Technical Committee meeting, but open to OGC members and non-members alike.
The session was motivated by two trends in geosemantics. The first is the increasing federation of disparate geospatial services and data across domain and community boundaries. GEOSS (Global Earth Observing System of Systems) is an example of this, but there are many others. As a result, there are increasing needs to perform semantic mediation between the concepts and vocabularies brought into these federations in order for discovery and exploitation of geodata resources to be successful. Many of these terms and the relationships between them are spatially meaningful but have little in the way of a consistent geosemantic basis for successful mediation to occur.
The second trend of interest is publication of linked geodata. Just "putting it out there and see what happens" has enormous potential for geospatial enablement and fusion, as well as enormous potential for confusion and duplication as link scheme development and "triplification" are carried out in many different ways.
The goal of the summit was to look at these and other trends in the application of geosemantics, then start to build a reference model for the use and adaptation of OGC standards to further them. Please contact Josh Lieberman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/GeoSemSumm_Lieberman.pdf]Greeting and Introduction[/url] - Josh Lieberman
Motivation, role of a reference model, semantic mediation issues, linked data issues, outcomes
- Semantic Mediation Case
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/Geospatial%20Semantic%20Mediation_dkolas.pdf]Semantic enablement[/url] - Dave Kolas
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/SemanticAnnotations_Duchesne.pdf]Semantic annotation[/url] - Philippe Duchesne
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/OGC_GeoSemSumm_Piasecki.pdf]CUAHSI ontology and semantic heterogeneity[/url] - Michael Piasecki
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/SEM-MAPPING-LB-4.pdf]Semantic mapping[/url] - Luis Bermudez
- Linked Geodata Case
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/OS_linkeddata_RoensdorfGoodwin.pdf]Ordnance Survey linked geodata[/url] - John Goodwin / Carsten Roensdorf
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/Bootstrapping%20the%20Web_Pehle.pdf]SOCoP demonstration and USGS TNM linked data ideas[/url] - Todd Pehle
- [url=http://www.ogcnetwork.net/system/files/Spatial_SPARQL_Lopez.pdf]Linked data query and GeoSPARQL RFC[/url] - Xavier Lopez
- Breakout Discussions
- Reference model for semantic enablement
- Semantic profiles of specific OGC specifications